On Facebook, Gary Cohen shared the secret recipe for making lists of favorite books for the end of year mania as follows:
10. The book my cat (scratched up) chose.
I believe he forgot one rule for selecting titles: Books that have made me feel much smarter than I am. Here are some of mine that belong in this category:
1. Vendula Knopova : Tutorial
2. Roc Herms : Postcards from Home
3. Takahashi Kyoji: Prototype-Pashmina
4. Sara Entwistle : Please send this book to my mother
5. Andre Gelpke : Amok (2014)
6. Shirana Shahbazi : Monstera (2014)
7. Dana Lixenberg : Imperial Courts 1993-2015
8. Jan Banning: Law & Order
9. Wolfgang Tillmans : The Cars
10. Cristina de Middel : Sharkification
Special mention because of the essays in the book: Minato / Goto : Hyper-materiality on photo – Hidden sense of Japanese photography II (Artbeat, Japan)
Hester Keijser, founder of Stead Bureau, is a freelance curator and author specialized in contemporary photography with a focus on the Middle East. She frequently collaborates with other international organisations in the field of photography on exhibitions, presentations, lectures, workshops and portfolio reviews, and serves as jury member for various awards and festivals.